Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Turkish Delight

When I was in elementary the MV Doulus Ship visited our place. For those who are not familiar with it, the MV Doulos held the biggest floating library in the world. Normally there were somewhere between 3000 to 5000 books on the shelves and half a million in the hold. Too bad in 1991 foreign crew members got killed when a grenade was thrown at them by the Abu Sayyaf in Zamboanga. I think after that they never returned to our country. She made her last World Tour in 2009.

My mom brought me there since we live very near the port before. It was the first time I was so amazed by the numerous books I saw. It was also the first time I encountered The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe.

I cannot forget the part of book where Edward told the White Witch his favorite: Turkish Delight. Just reading it that time when I was still a kid, it sounded so delicious already. When it was made into a movie, the scene of Edward and the white witch reminded me again of Turkish Delight.

Ano ba yang Turkish Delight na yan? Parang ang sosyal, name pa lang lol! When I searched Wiki, sosyal nga naman pala talaga siya:

"Lokum" was introduced to Western Europe in the 19th century. An unknown Briton reputedly became very fond of the delicacy during his travels to Istanbul and purchased cases of it, to be shipped back to Britain under the name Turkish delight. It became a major delicacy in Britain and throughout Continental Europe for high class society. During this time, it became a practice among upper class socialites to exchange pieces of Turkish delight wrapped in silk handkerchiefs as presents.


I still haven't tasted one even until now. Although I found out its available in Marks and Spencer.

Now, I checked it out and truly, it looks delightful!

It will be just one of those sweets I would taste when I visit the place where its made. Masaya pa nito, dami kong kasama.

Turkey, you delight me!

Here I come!



 

No comments: