Wednesday, December 28, 2011

We Get What We Ask For

"That is what I want to call thought, which includes emotion, body state, physical reaction, perception and everything else"~David Bohm, physicist

 

Few days ago, I got to meet a friend of my friend Ford. Let's call his friend Steve. It was actually just accidental that Steve got to accompany Ford that day. So since me and Ford have all the time, I started having a conversation with Steve to get to know him better. Steve is already aware that I am into business. In the beginning, he got to share to me what he does and told me some of the things he did also before when he went to business as well. 

One particular thing that caught my attention was that, I observed that most of the time, Steve always mentioned how he's not very good in talking to people. He pointed out that one of the reasons why he did not succeed in his business is because he does't have communication skills. He also emphasized that's he is the shy type and how he couldn't stand just being in a crowd. He further said, that self-confidence is something he doesn't have.

I know how exactly Steve feels. I can truly relate to what he was sharing with me. I am actually grateful that he took the courage to tell me things that most people won't really open up to someone they just met. The only difference between me and Steve? I changed my story about myself years ago.

I realized that we didn't acquire these stories about ourselves in a short span of time. In fact, we have acquired it through repetition. We keep on repeating these stories in our thoughts and in words, fully unaware of the impact of those "self-talk" in us. The more we keep on thinking about it, the more we keep on saying it, then suddenly it becomes our truth. 

I realized that the more I dwell on what I thought I cannot do, the more I am giving it power to run my life. I too, before believed that Im not like most people I know that is gifted in communication. Speaking in front of people is something I could never imagine myself doing. I went into college thinking that I will make it through even if I don't recite in class. Yet, I was able to pull it because I know that if there is one person who would be able to change my situation, that would be me. 

Sometimes, it's difficult to put an end to old habits that really no longer contributes for us to move forward. To change a habit, we need to put a new one. Yes, it's not easy yet, we need to understand that if we want to have power over things, it has to start with us changing the stories about it that no longer serves us. 

I guess the key for all of us is to accept in ourselves that there is still a lot of areas in us we need to work on. There's nothing wrong with being shy, not being self-confident. However what makes this bad is if we keep bringing our limiting stories about ourselves and not taking steps to do something about it. Come to think of it, if it's something we don't want, why still hold on to it? If its no longer serving us, why still keep on telling this to ourselves and making ourselves believe that indeed we are shy, not confident and so on and so forth? If its something that stops us from moving forward, why not work on doing something about it rather than allow it to disempower us?

I'm sure there are a lot of things we can do to do something about it. For Steve, one thing he can begin considering is that he needs to be with people no matter how it may seem uncomfortable for him in the beginning. We will always meet people unless of course we decided to confine ourselves inside our room forever. Funny that while Steve was so focused on telling me his being shy and not confident, he was not aware that simply opening himself up during our conversation is already a step towards putting behind his shyness.

Besides, I was not aware he's shy. He was the one who informed me about it. I didn't ask, Steve, are you shy?" What do I mean by this? Unconsciously sometimes we teach people how to treat us. I told myself repeatedly that speaking in front of class is simply not for me. I could remember what I often told myself, "I'm not good enough",we're poor and being self-confident is only for rich people", I'd better be good in other things than in academics etc." Not to mention, I did everything to avoid it. So how did I end up? I failed of course.

Why? it's no brainier. I asked for it. In fact, the one who assessed my academic status before graduation was surprised how come I failed in a very basic course in communication and repeated it yet got the highest grades in succeeding communication subjects. My professor who failed me (who happens to be his friend) told him that I was always absent, if ever I entered class I was often late, never recited and seldom participated in class discussions. What struck me was this, "I'm not sure if she really wanted to be in class from day one. I just didn't see it".

My professor gave me exactly what I asked for. Not that I literally asked to fail. What I mean is, everything about me that time, is asking for failure. My thoughts, my words and my body. That's exactly how I related to his class, so that's what I got.

 However, I started seeing failing as a gift. It was an opportunity for me to be good at something. I guess most of the time we tend to focus on those things we think paralyzes us rather than do something about it to stop it from running our lives. What I'm sure I did that time to finally started changing myself, I simply took small steps one at a time. I started considering that being good in communication is something I can learn and reciting is an avenue to practice conquering my fear. When I started considering that, my world shifted. 

It is important that we start noticing the things we keep on saying about ourselves. Is it something's that allows us to see the good in us or is it something that stops us from being the kind of person we wanted to be? Again, what we focus on expands. We always have a choice what to focus on. Come to think of it, if we will just spend the same energy on what is good and bad in us, why not choose to spend it on things we are good at and can still improve on? Doing this, we take back power and not assign it to others and take responsibility for our lives.

 

Gift of a Giver

 

No comments: